Dental Insurance

Insurance For Patients, Dentists and Dental Surgeries

Which dental insurance brands do we work with?

We compare dozens of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

Covering the Cost of Dental

Whether an emergency, braces, or another type of cosmetic dental surgery, there are many times when you might need to take a loan out to cover the costs.

Although the NHS subsidies dental work for UK residents, there are still occasions where you might want to take out a loan to get the treatment you need. If you need work in Band Three (see “NHS COSTS” below for pricing) then you will have to shell out £233.70 for treatment. If this comes as a shock, and is not planned, then you might want to borrow an unsecured loan to spread the cost out over a month or more to make it affordable.

Always remember – that the best way to reduce costs is prevention – keep your teeth clean!

What Are My Alternatives to Taking out a Loan?

Paying with a loan would be considered being ‘pay-as-you-go’ because you pay for the cost of treatment right after it is completed. However if you don’t want to do this and want to spread the payments out you can take out dental insurance.

Dental insurance can cover both private costs and NHS costs and can be found either by yourself, or through your employer if it is a service they offer. Depending on the level of cover you choose, the cost will be determined accordingly.

Both routine, and unplanned treatment is covered under dental insurance and can include emergency or accidental treatment, overseas, and in the UK. It can also cover cash payments in the hospital, oral cancer cover and a number of other items.

Get a Quote

Comparing Dental Cover

Comparing one dental plan to another can be difficult because there are a number of different providers, each with their own plans. The main factors you want to consider if you do this are:

What Does Dental Insurance Cover?

NHS treatments

Some dental insurance policies can cover the cost of NHS treatments, from routine check-ups, fillings and crowns. This cover can typically come with a maximum cost limit.


Some insurance providers will cover the cost for emergencies that call for urgent medical attention. These emergencies have to involve damage to the teeth or mouth.

Cancer treatment

Some dental insurance providers also offer cover for policy holders who get diagnosed with oral cancer. This will help to cover to cost for treatment of the cancer.

Private treatments

Treatments that are not offered by the NHS, such as cosmetic procedures, may be included in a dental insurance policy. However, these cover only typically come with the more costly policies.

Private Medical Insurance

Most private medical insurance do not cover everyday dental treatment, but will in most cases cover you if you need to be taken to the hospital for treatment. For example if you have your wisdom teeth out or need to fix a broken jaw, this could be covered. To see what is covered you will need to read your policy very carefully because you might think you are covered for certain things, where in reality you are not.

Cash Plans

A cash plan is similar to insurance in a lot of ways. If you want to claim back some of the costs you have incurred for dental or medical treatment on the NHS, or privately, then it can help. There are normally limits on the amount you can claim over any membership year.

In some cases you can use your cash plan for treatments by other professionals including physiotherapists, chiropodists or opticians.

A big difference between a cash plan and insurance is that it is not regulated by the law in the way that the insurance companies are. They also do not cover anything that is not expected. It is for these two reasons that you do not get the same benefits as you do with dental insurance. Make sure to see how much the benefits and refunds are from your individual plan before you commit.

Does Everyone Have to Pay for Dental Work?

There are exclusions from being charged for dental work:

  • are under the age of 18
  • are under the age of 19 and in full-time education
  • are pregnant or have a baby under 12 months old
  • are getting Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance (income based)/Employment and Support Allowance
  • are getting Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • have an HC2 certificate
  • have an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate.

If you do not fall under this criteria then you will have to pay for treatment – see below. However always check with your dentist to make sure you don’t qualify especially if you are unsure. The costs change each year, so make sure to stay up to date. Before starting any treatment make sure to get a quote (an exact cost of work) before getting started.

How Much Does Treatment Cost on the NHS?

Band Cost What is covered.
One England – £19.70
Wales – £13.50
Check-ups and examinations, x-rays, scale and polish, diagnosis and preventive work. This also covers when you need to see a specialist immediately – usually when you are in extreme pain, have swelling or excessive bleeding.
Two England – £53.90
Wales – £43.00
Fillings, root canal treatment, relining dentures, extractions, and also any treatment you need that comes under band one*.
Three England – £233.70
Wales – £185.00
Complicated work such as crowns, veneers, dentures and bridges. Once again this payment also covers any treatment that comes under the other two bands**.

How Does Our Site Work?

Getting great dental insurance is easy with Proper Finance. Simply fill in a few of your details using our online form and you will be contacted by one of our trusted insurance partners. They will assist you every step of the way, helping you get a competitive quote for your vehicle and insured as effectively and quickly as possible.

Our Lenders

We work with trusted brokers to give you access to a panel of leading lenders well placed to meet your needs.