Holiday Home Insurance

Insure Your Home Abroad

Which holiday home insurers do we work with?

We compare dozens of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

Getting the Right Cover for Your Holiday Home

If you are lucky enough to own a holiday home, it is vital that you have the right home insurance policy on it for its protection. Many people buy second homes abroad to be used in the summer months only. Whether you rent out your holiday home when you are not using it, or if it lies vacant for a number of months until your annual holiday, you must make sure that it is adequately insured.

It is really important that your holiday home is covered during the time that it is left unoccupied. The same applies to those who own a second home, be it situated in the UK or abroad. A major reason for this is that vacant properties have a far greater chance of being burglarized than those that are consistently occupied. In general, terms, if you leave your home vacant for 30 days or more at a time, it is considered to be at a higher risk.

It is also important to get specialist holiday home insurance on your second home due to the heightened risk of damage that could be gone unnoticed. If your holiday home is unoccupied for a significant amount of time the property is not constantly monitored in the same way that a primary home is. This means that any damage that occurs to the property may get worse due to being left unresolved for some time. Your insurance policy will need to cover the risk of this occurrence.

If your holiday home is rented to holidaymakers throughout the year, you must ensure that it is safe to reside in and adequately insured in case of any damage that may occur when a customer or tenant is staying there.

Get a Quote

Buildings Insurance for Holiday Homes

Buildings insurance protects the building and physical parts of the house such as walls and roofs from any damages that may occur. If you have Second Home Buildings Insurance, you will be able to make claims on your insurance policy to repair and rebuild your holiday home. These damages may be due to fire, flooding or similar. If your holiday home is situated in a country where natural disasters are likely to occur, getting buildings insurance is all the more important.

Having buildings insurance is a compulsory requirement for mortgage lenders. This means that, if you have a mortgage on your holiday home, you must have buildings insurance on that property. If you have paid for your holiday home without a mortgage, it is still best practice to secure your property with buildings insurance.

Contents Insurance for Holiday Homes

Unlike with buildings insurance, contents insurance for a second home is not a legal requirement. If you wish for your belongings that are kept inside of your holiday home to be insured, you will need to invest in contents insurance.

The terms of your contents insurance regarding what is and is not protected will depend on the level of cover that you opt for.

Contents insurance will help you to replace valuable items in the case of accidental damage or theft. Because both accidental damage and theft can be more likely to take place in a holiday home than in your primary home, getting contents insurance is a great idea if you wish to safeguard your belongings.

Why Apply for Holiday Home Insurance With Proper Finance?


We aim to be as approachable as possible for our customers, and will always do our very best to assist you with any and all queries you may have concerning any part of our application process and more.

Fast decisions

Our online application only takes minutes to complete, with decisions being made very quickly after this. A member of staff will contact you to help you proceed with the final steps.

High quality

Proper Finance have more than 100 top-quality partners in insurance and loans.

Reputable and trustworthy

Each and every one of the providers we work with are fully checked to ensure their reputability, their trustworthiness, and furthermore their competency in helping to provide you with the financial services you require.

Free online application

The Proper Finance comparison site is free to use and there are no upfront fees for filling in our online application.

How Does Our Site Work?

Getting the best Second Home Insurance is easy with Proper Finance. Simply fill in a few of your details using our online form and you will be contacted by one of our specialist insurance partners. They will assist you every step of the way, helping you get a competitive quote for your second home and insured as effectively and quickly as possible.

If you wish to view the other services Proper Finance has to offer such as Second Home Insurance, please see Our Products. Alternatively, drop us an email at and we will get back to you to help you with your request.

Our Lenders

We work with trusted brokers to give you access to a panel of leading lenders well placed to meet your needs.