Insurance for Driving Abroad and in Europe

Car insurance for driving in Belgium, France and Spain

Which driving abroad insurers do we work with?

We compare dozens of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

Driving Abroad and in Europe

Using a car on holiday or for business travel can be very useful, especially if you have a family to transport or if you are travelling in an area with limited public transport options. Many of us decide to drive when abroad, either by using our own car or a rental vehicle.

Driving a Rental Car Abroad

If you are renting a car in a European or another foreign country, part of the rental cost will include basic insurance. As is legally required, when renting you will be insured against liability for the financial cost of bodily injury or death suffered by third parties, and property damage sustained by third parties.

You will be given the opportunity to purchase more comprehensive motor insurance when renting a car abroad. These policies may include cover for the following scenarios:

  • Bodily injury or death that you (the driver at the time of the collision) may suffer.
  • Any damage to or loss of your personal property or possessions.
  • Any damage caused to the rented vehicle.

These instances are not covered by third-party insurance alone. If you wish to be covered for the above then you will need to opt for extra insurance with your rental company.

Get a Quote

Driving Within the EU

If you have an active insurance policy on your car that was taken out in the UK, you are legally insured to drive that vehicle in the following EU countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden (Source:

You will also be able to drive in some non-EU European countries, including Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Andorra and Serbia who are part of the EU Motor Directive.

The Motor Insurance Directive states that all motor vehicles in the EU receive compulsory third party motor insurance. Third party insurance covers all compensation, damages and repairs to third parties in the event that you cause an accident whilst driving. With this cover, your insurance will pay for any damage to another driver, pedestrian or property in that country, so long as the country in which the incident took place is part of the EU Motor Directive.

Third party insurance does not cover any damage done to yourself or your car in the event of an incident whilst you are abroad. If you wish to get out a more comprehensive level of motor insurance whilst travelling, contact us to speak to one of our helpful insurance specialists right away!

Driving Outside of the EU

If you are looking to drive your car to a country outside of the EU or to a country which is not a part of the EU Motor Directive, you will require an International Motor Insurance Certificate, also known as a Green Card. The Green Card system is mainly a European initiative but many neighbouring countries also use the Green Card system.

Whilst it doesn’t provide you with any extra cover such as for theft or damage, the Green Card is instantly recognisable and universally accepted all over the world by police forces and confirms that you are insured on the roads. Again, if you desire a fuller insurance policy when driving outside of the EU, get in touch with us to explore our fully-comprehensive options.

What Do You Need to Get a Quote?

Details of the car

The car’s registration number if you have it to hand. If not, the car make and model is fine. We’ll also need the car’s age and any modifications you’ve made

No-claims discount (NCD) history

Details of your no-claims discount will help lower the price you are quoted. Use a no-claims discount tool to find out how many years’ no-claims discount your insurer will honour

What you'll use the car for

Social, commuting or business, and how many miles you think you’ll do a year. You’ll also need to say where you’ll keep the car at night for security

Your licence

The type of licence you have and how long you’ve held it. You can also add any additional driving qualifications you have here

Your details

Including your job, your age and your address

The Criteria for Applying

In order to get car insurance with one of Proper Finance’s trusted insurers, you must:


Whilst the minimum age for driving in the UK is 17, other countries vary. Therefore, it’s important to check that you can legally drive in the area of the world you are visiting.

You must be over 18 years old to apply for an International Driving Permit, which allows you to drive in countries outside of the EU.


Our Lenders

We work with trusted brokers to give you access to a panel of leading lenders well placed to meet your needs.