SME Business Insurance

Get insurance for small businesses

An SME, or Small and medium-sized enterprise, is a business which has a turnover of less than £25m per year and has less than 250 employees. If you own a small or medium-sized enterprise, you should consider getting specialised SME insurance to protect your business and it’s employees. Getting SME Business Insurance is easy with Proper Finance, whether you are a sole trader, a family-run business or an established company.


If you have specialist equipment that is fundamental to the running of your business, it is important that you consider getting it covered by a comprehensive business equipment insurance policy. You can get this type of specialist insurance either separate to your general business insurance, or as part of your entire policy. The terms and conditions will depend on what your chosen policy provider can offer you.

It is important that you take the time to accurately calculate the value of your business equipment when searching for business equipment insurance. This is to avoid the risk of under-valuing your items and not being recompensed appropriately to replace them, or over-valuing them and ending up paying higher premiums.


Buildings insurance is useful for any business owner, whether the business is run from a commercial property or from a residential property. Buildings insurance will cover you if any damages occur to your building.


It is a legal obligation for your company to have employers’ liability insurance if you have staff working for you, even if you do not have a collective office. If your SME is family-run or if you have no employees in your company (other than yourself), you do not legally have to get employers’ liability insurance.

Employers’ liability insurance will cover either all or some of the costs of any legal action an employee may take against you as a result of injury or illness caused by work. The amount of cover you will receive will depend on the policy you choose. It is important to remember that even former employees can still make a claim against you or your business.


Professional indemnity insurance is an insurance type which covers the cost of any legal expenses as well as compensation bills that are due as a result of a customer deciding to pursue legal action against you and your professional advice. If you run a business that is based on offering professional advice to customers or clients, professional indemnity insurance may be right for you.


Getting great business insurance is easy with Proper Finance. Simply fill in a few of your details using our online form and you will be contacted by one of our specialist insurance partners. They will assist you every step of the way, helping you to get insured as effectively and quickly as possible. Alternatively, you can call a specialist directly and request a quote.