Tradesman Insurance

Insurance for Tradesman, Builders, Contractors and More

Which tradesman insurers do we work with?

We compare dozens of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

Insurance for Tradesman and More

As a tradesman, it is vital that you have the right insurance in place to protect your business. At Proper Finance, you can find the best tradesman insurance policy for you, whether you are a builder, carpenter, bricklayer, joiner, electrician or plumber or any other kind of tradesman.

When choosing what kind of cover to get, you should consider the size of your business, which insurances you are legally obliged to have (such as employers’ liability insurance, in many cases), and any risks that might be involved with running your business that may need to be covered by insurance.

Get a Quote

Why Apply for Tradesman Insurance With Proper Finance?


We aim to be as approachable as possible for our customers, and will always do our very best to assist you with any and all queries you may have concerning any part of our application process and more.

Fast decisions

Our online application only takes minutes to complete, with decisions being made very quickly after this. A member of staff will contact you to help you proceed with the final steps.

High quality

Proper Finance have more than 100 top-quality partners in insurance and loans.

Reputable and trustworthy

Each and every one of the providers we work with are fully checked to ensure their reputability, their trustworthiness, and furthermore their competency in helping to provide you with the financial services you require.

Free online application

The Proper Finance comparison site is free to use and there are no upfront fees for filling in our online application.

Employers' Liability Insurance

If you are not a sole tradesman, and your employees are not family members, you will need to have employers liability insurance cover. It is a legal obligation for your company to have employer’s liability insurance. It may still be a good idea to get employers’ liability insurance if your business is family-run.

Employers’ liability insurance is designed to cover any costs that may occur from an employee claiming compensation for any work-related illness or injury.

Business Equipment Insurance

As a tradesman, it is likely that you have a lot of important equipment upon which your business relies. Business equipment insurance will cover any tools or work equipment that have been accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. The extent to which your items are covered will depend on the policy you agree upon, but most policies will include a tool and equipment policy limit with a maximum sum insured of £5000.

It is important that you take the time to accurately calculate the value of your business equipment when searching for business equipment insurance. This is to avoid the risk of under-valuing your items and not being recompensed appropriately to replace them, or over-valuing them and ending up paying higher premiums.

Van Insurance

Many tradesmen rely on using vans to transport and store their equipment between jobs. Vehicle insurance is vital for those who rely on their vehicle to run a business. Specialised van insurance may include the following:

  • Breakdown cover (included)
  • Legal expenses
  • Goods in transit cover
  • Contents cover 

Here at Proper Finance, we offer specialised van insurance so that your van and its important contents are safeguarded. We also offer truck and lorry insurance for those who use even heavier vehicles to get around for work.

Contract Works Insurance

If you work on a temporary contract, you can get a policy out on that individual project only with contract works insurance. This kind of policy may also include getting insurance on the tools you use to complete the work, too. Getting this kind of policy means you only pay for the insurance on that specific project.

Contract works insurance is not exclusively for temporary contracts and is used to cover any damage may occur to the building site or to the work that you are doing in a particular project. It is a way of ensuring the safety of any work in progress.

How Does Our Site Work?

Getting great tradesman insurance is easy with Proper Finance. Simply fill in a few of your details using our online form and you will be contacted by one of our specialist insurance partners. They will assist you every step of the way, helping you to get insured as effectively and quickly as possible.

If you wish to view the other services Proper Finance has to offer such as Loans for Self-Employed People, please see Our Products. Alternatively, drop us an email at and we will get back to you to help you with your request.

Our Lenders

We work with trusted brokers to give you access to a panel of leading lenders well placed to meet your needs.